Give and you shall receive.
At this fall’s Volunteer Vacation at Philmont Scout Ranch, participants give a week of trail service and receive an unforgettable adventure in the captivating Sangre de Cristo Mountains of northeast New Mexico.
The American Hiking Society and the Boy Scouts of America joined forces to craft this trail stewardship event, which will take place Sept. 23 – 29, 2012.
It’s a perfect combo. You do a Good Turn for Scouting, meet like-minded Scouters and Scouts, and spend a week at Philmont.
Sign up today! A week of trail building has got beat a week of building Excel spreadsheets.
Here are the details:
Volunteer Vacation at Philmont Scout Ranch
- Saturday to Saturday — Sept. 22 to 29, 2012
- Boy Scouts, Scouters, Boy Scout Alumni, and outdoor industry professionals
- Scouts who are under 18 must be accompanied on the trip by a legal guardian
- Space is limited to 24 participants
- Saturday, Sept. 22: Volunteers arrive at Philmont Scout Ranch Camping Headquarters, Cimarron, New Mexico
- Sunday, Sept. 23: Crew departs Camping HQ and hikes to a backcountry camp, which will be basecamp for the rest of the week
- Monday, Sept. 24 to Friday, Sept. 28: Trail Stewardship projects taking place in multiple locations
- Friday, Sept. 28: Crew breaks down camp and hikes back to Camping HQ for the last night
- Saturday, Sept. 29: Volunteers travel home
- Free time will be included to ensure all volunteers have the opportunity to take advantage of the multitude of outdoor recreation activities in the area like hiking, fly fishing, and orienteering.
- Volunteers will be led by experienced BSA and American Hiking Society crew leaders
- All meals will be provided during the week
- American Hiking Society members, $245
- Non-members (includes a one-year AHS membership), $275
- Youth (under 18), $175
- Travel to and from Philmont is not included
HOW TO APPLY
- Download the application (PDF)
- Applications are due Friday, June 15, 2012.